Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Main Idea and Supporting Details

When you read non-fiction, you should be looking for the main idea of the passage you are reading. The main idea can be the first sentence of a paragraph, but it doesn't have to be.  Often the main idea is stated later in the paragraph.  Sometimes the main idea is implied, which means that you need to figure it out based on what the details are saying.  The details of the paragraph often support or enhance the main idea.

Try out some practice:
1.  Study Zone - Ben Franklin
2.  Quia -- Find the Main Idea
3.  Check out this Slideshare lesson
4.  Slideshare lesson #2
5.  Quick online lesson and practice
6.  Main Idea Quiz

26 comments:

  1. Did all six links Mr Prola!!! -@lýâñä

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did number 4, 5, and 6!!!!!

    ~ashrtiha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number three and number five are basically the same. -@lýâñä

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the link for the quiz. I found it fun and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did all the links.
    ~Caitlyn Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the work Michael zarcone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of the pages aren't working. So I couldn't do some of my homework on the web quest. What should I do?? Please tell me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did three of the links MR.PROLA.See you all tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I checked out the links #2,#5, and #6. They were fun!
    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are we getting tickets for this?
    - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. i did it! - soli wait was i supposed to do it here?

    ReplyDelete
  12. did all them -logan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did all the links like a boss................................................................................................................................... Ryan Rivas

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did it, Caitlyn Jio

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did them- Caitlyn Jio

    ReplyDelete
  16. did i do it yes i did do it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are you and why don't you use capital letters or punctuation?

      Delete
  17. I did it. Just the way you asked. -Penny

    ReplyDelete