Saturday, July 6, 2013

Giant Sequoias -- Sequoiadendron Giganteum


 I recently went camping in Calaveras Big Trees State Park.  This park contains the largest living things on Earth, the Giant Sequoias.  These trees are the most massive living things on our planet (although not the tallest).  They can also live to be over 3000 years old.  Those of you who know me will not be surprised by the fact that I decided this would make a great science lesson.






I recommend the following websites to learn more information:
1.  Giant Sequoias -- kids.net
2.  Giant Sequoias Grow Faster with Age
3.  Wikipedia
4.  Giant Sequoias -- National Geographic
5.  Differences between Giant Sequoias and Giant Redwoods.


I also encourage to research these magnificent trees on your own.  Better yet, encourage your family to go visit these trees.

Check out more photos of my camping trip on my old website.

No comments:

Post a Comment