Thursday, July 18, 2013

Mandela Day -- Nelson Mandela turns 95 today


Who is Nelson Mandela?  Those of you who were in my class this year will remember reading a story about him.  He was a leader in South Africa against apartheid.  He spent a very long time in jail for standing up to an unjust government and a system that did not give equal rights to all people.  He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1993.  When he was released from jail, he became the president of South Africa.
Learn more about him on these websites:
Nelson Mandela -- Kid's Biography
Nelson Mandela --History Channnel
Nelson Mandela -- CNN


6 comments:

  1. Hi Mr.Prola! I am writing to tell you that I have finished Peter and the Starcatchers and The Maze of Bones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is that book about? I have never heard of it. And BTW Mr. Prola, you wrote ready instead of "read". :)

      Delete
    2. I have always wanted to read Peter and the Starcatchers. Was it any good?

      Delete
    3. You caught me Eryn ;) As far as I know, it is a sequel to Peter Pan. However, I have not read it.

      Delete
    4. Yea, it is really good. Really long too, I gotta say. I am currently reading Bridge to Teribithia. Is that how it's spelled? I honestly don't know.

      Delete
    5. Ya, sorry I forgot how to spell it.:)

      Delete